Being fit is not for the faint of Heart

It could be that my age has caught up with me because today I found myself struggling with fatigue. I cannot attribute it to my family because they are away at summer camp. I have been taking an exercise class every morning at 8am. I took a similar class about ten years ago and I was definitely not as tired as I am.

During the school year, we spend an enormous amount of time picking up and dropping our children off. This was not an issue when they were younger. I would enroll them all in the same activity. Despite all being exposed to  the same extra-curricular activity for most of their life, they developed different interests. I am thankful they did not end up having a group mentality, but developed into individuals. I imagine it would be a lot easier to master mothering one type of personality. Instead I get to experience what it is to mother a child that is interested in sports, music, social things and the academically minded child. This also means that sometimes we have a number of pick-ups to do in a day. Sometimes we have several competitions or programs to attend all on the same day.

I still try to limit our summer activities. Mainly I still encourage all of them to do the same event. Last summer the group activity we chose was golf. They all participated but the ones who were not interested, did not hide that fact. I did not partake, but I felt that their indifference made it unpleasant for me and even those who were interested. It would, however, make for a very long trying summer if I allowed each child to do as they please or not do anything at all. I do give them a choice as to which camps they want or do not want to attend.

This past Sunday we sent four of our children to camp. They will return on Friday. I needed this time to recover from the end of year school activities. Instead of sitting down with a book and putting my legs up, I decided to take this opportunity to get toned. Hence, I am physically fatigue and the summer has just started. I would say this is by far more demanding than dealing with issues and meeting the demands of my large family. I wanted to do something for myself and this was what I chose. My goal was to be toned and to build my endurance. I also find that I can better handle life when I am in good physical shape. So this is not only for me, but it is also for them. The degree of difficulty, however, seem to parallel  that of holding unto my honorable ideas. So for me getting fit is as much a challenge as parenting is.  I will have to persevere in order to meet my physical goal as with my parenting my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Desire was Unreal

It is not you but me.

Feeling Greatful/Behind the Lyric