Home Alone

The adventures of my days are never ending. I longed for a moment of peace and serenity. When I finally got what I wished for as nightfall came, I got scared. With that, I turned our house alarm on before going to bed.

Living in an equestrian Community was my idea of the ideal place to live. It is quiet and beautiful, and the houses are not right up on each other. Having 3 acres of land, I think we have the smallest, lot out here. The houses are not within vocal range. The properties range from about 3 acres to about 11 acres, in size. Most people live here so as to have the freedom to be close to a big City, also the luxury of country living. I chose to live here because I have a large family and could not find a suitable house to accommodate my family. We purchase the property, sat on it for about two years before we finally build on it.

Although our first four bedroom house was terribly cramped, I liked it but realistically, it was not working. I was extremely frazzled when my husband chose our current house plan. I was not sure how I would handle it. With time, I learned. Not having any more than my children to help me keep it clean can be immensely difficult at times. Although, I can say that today, I have that some what under control. I have also become accustomed to the house and am truly happy here, when everyone is around.

With all the challenges of having six teenagers, I get tired quite often and longed for a break. For most of this summer, the children had been at home. We planned to send them to summer camp in upstate New York for two weeks, and that time had only just come. My husband, therefore, left yesterday to transport them. With that, I was left home alone. The down side to country living is that there are no City lights. The only lights here are the security ones we have on our homes and at the community entrance. The lights at our house are on a timer and do not come on unless it senses motion. That leaves purely darkness outside.

With the crickets chirping and as darkness fell, I became uncomfortable. To put my mind at ease, I turned on our house alarm. This morning after I awoke, I went to walk our dog. I did not even bother combing my hair or changing out of my night clothing. I walked out of the house and forgot to turn the alarm off. As I was walking the dog, I could hear my house phone ringing. I thought whoever that is they will have to wait or call back. When I came back in the house, the phone rang again. It was my husband saying, the police is on their way because the alarm went off and the alarm company could not reach you.

“Well tell them to cancel it,” I said.

“It is too late, they are on their way.” Sure enough, I hang up, and the white car pulled up in the driveway.

Still in my night clothing and my hair a mess, I ran out side. I started by apologizing for being so absent minded. The cop was just looking at me smiling. Only God knows what, he was thinking. At that point, I keep thinking, my hair is not combed. He asked me for my identification, so I went back inside the house and tried to use my fingers as a comb and frantically ran it through my hair. I picked up my wallet and went back out side.

After he left I thought, I just cannot win, whether the whole crew is here there is trouble and when they are not I create my own. Even for me being home alone is turning out to be no different from Maculey Cukin.

Visit ruthspoetry.rahtimes.com/ for more on the Author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Desire was Unreal

It is not you but me.

Feeling Greatful/Behind the Lyric