Pleasant Evening!

Last night my husband and I attend an Alexis de Tocqueville Society Reception. The invitation was actually sent to him at his office. I had attended several of such reception in the past as a guest speaker. This was the first time I was invited as a guest, donor. As we approached the reception area, the group of women working behind the tables, greeted us by our names. He was surprised and asked how they knew who we were. They then told him, it was because everyone knew his wife. I in turn, was then surprised. I recognized only one of the women, but another admitted that she had seen me in a video, and had never truly met me.

For the last few months, I had been turning down engagements and actually have not been doing anything other than caring for my family. Usually, when I am not so engrossed with my own life, I try to make a specific effort to be involved in the United Way campaign. When I do, I also try to remember names and faces. The last thing I ever want to do is to cause a person to feel that they are not relevant to me. These may only know me from my being actively involved in the United Way, but I know who I am. I also know how exhausting it would be to try to keep up with showing everyone that I care for them on some level. So, at the very least, all I can do is try to be polite to all.

We all have our own perception of what and who God is, and so do I and our perception and reality at times differ. In this life, I learn a little more every day in regard to the differences between men and women. I know that I am a caretaker, and that is my personality, to nurture others. Most men that I have come across in this life aren’t, not even the ones that I know in the medical field, and I know quite a few. It could be that the ones that are in medicine are all type A personality, for that reason, they do not come off as being nurturing. Although, one would expect people in the health care field to be, men in that arena can be gentle at times, but they are not necessarily sensitive. For that precise reason, some of them do not do well delivering distressing news. It is because of the differences between men and women that the Lord chose for me to be here. As a man, he is fully capable of empathizing with anyone, but his perspective of women is totally different, being the opposite sex, with that, he could not justly judge them. In as much as he was indifferent to my plight, I will not cast judgment on him. I will not defend him either, but I know it is easier for someone that has had similar experiences to empathize with the plight of another. That was the idea and the intent behind us being here. It certainly was not for him to turn away from me that was wrong.

I enjoyed my evening yesterday as I visited with a few people that I knew. One individual expressed her concern, and inquired as to whether I was taking care of myself. I can say that it is always encouraging to have that one person that openly expresses their concern. For me, I have found that the people whose job actively involves caring for others are more skill at expressing care, as opposed, to the average person. I have a particular liking for the people that work for the United Way because of their enthusiasm concerning their work. I especially like the fact that their goal is about implementing change in the lives of others, particularly because their work is my passion, and my passion, I thought was my purpose.


Visit ruthspoetry.rahtimes.com/ for more on the Author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Desire was Unreal

It is not you but me.

Feeling Greatful/Behind the Lyric