A New Day!

My daughter finished rehab successfully yesterday. Today she turned eighteen. I am pleased, and I sincerely hope that she places her focus on finishing high school.

When I was around the age that she is, I left my parents to come live in the US and stayed with friends. I can recall some of the frustrations I felt that came from being away from home, although I was never a wild child.

Upon observation, no one could conclude that I was away from my parents. I never had a desire for what attract others and I was always intensely goal oriented. I know that my situation was hugely different from hers. Still, my desire is for her to over come whatever gets in her way of attaining an education.

My temptation is that as I consider that she will need a lot of support in order to accomplish that basic task, I want to be there in the way, I had been. like a mother hen. I pushed my feeling aside to get her the help she needed, even as I started to develop health issues. I'm still, so tempted to do the same even now when I need to focus on attaining wellness.

As I observe my family over the past few weeks, even after I shared with them my current issues, there has not been any significant change in attitude. I knew there would not be, and that saddens me. This is one of the things that I have to accept that people are who they are, and there is nothing that I can do.

Well in the case of taking care for myself, for now I have to keep reminding myself that things has changed for me. I can no longer place my self secondary to my family. My daughter is going to have to want to attain for herself and not because I push her to or want her to. I am a little sad that I have to give up the inclination to want to save her or carry her. That is no longer within my powers and rest solely on her shoulders.

Visit ruthspoetry.rahtimes.com/ for more on the Author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Desire was Unreal

It is not you but me.

Feeling Greatful/Behind the Lyric